I didn't imagine there would be much racism in Taiwan, because pretty much there's only one race here. Taiwan is like 99% Taiwanese people 0.5% aboriginal and 0.5% foreign. So I figured racism would only be on a very small scale. Besides the occasionally scuffle Taiwanese people might have with a foreigner, I was surprised that there's another kind of racism here. The racism is with Taiwanese people and Taiwanese people.
Taiwan is a little bit like America. Nobody here is really ethnically Taiwanese like nobody is ethnically American. Let's leave aboriginals out of this equation for now. As much as some people hate to admit it, they all came here from China at some point in time. Most Taiwanese people that I've met are not big fans of being associated with China though. So the racism is between people's whose ancestors came like 150 years ago and people whose ancestors came like 60 years ago. These two groups, while basically the same race, sometimes don't get along. It's like they argue about who is more Chinese than the other. I don't know if this is a word or not, but I guess you could call this "time-ism." people hate each other based on how long ago their ancestors came here. Plus, the two political parties both come from those two groups of people. The KMT are the ones who came 60 years ago and the DPP are the ones here before that.
To me this is proof that racism is a basic trait of humanity. I used to think if everyone was the same race in the world, then there would be no racism. But now, from seeing people fight in Taiwan, I've realized that there will always be racism. Even if 2000 years from now, we are all some crazy mix of all races put together, people will still find a way to break into groups and hate each other because of some genetic difference.
ELE - Everybody Love Everybody
http://www.taiwerica.net/Democrazy.html

No comments:
Post a Comment